I have to confess something, so far I have never worked with gelatine or a vegetable gelling agent. I know, it is crazy. Somehow I thought it was super complicated and I also felt that often the taste was weird or cakes looked unattractive. But I decided enough was enough and simply said, OK, let’s give it a try. I decided to try with this wonderful cake. I mean, wouldn’t you want to try a bite of this beauty?
The three layers are:
Bottom: Cookie crumbs with toasted almonds and melted butter. The almonds give it a really nice texture and flavor. So yummy! Oh, and this is a rather thick layer compared to other bottom layers I have seen.
Cheese cake layer: Mainly cream cheese and butter. Nothing fancy, but a wonderful basis and a nice complement for the third layer.
Blueberry part: Many, many blueberries, which are mixed with instant pudding and which give this cake such a fruity note. I love it!
The best thing of this cake is that you don’t need to bake it. Perfect for a hot summer day.
So, my dear friends, let’s get to this super delicious cake.
Creamy Blueberry Cheese Cake
Fruity, refreshing and easy cream cheese with lots of blueberries
Credit: Slightly adapted from Life is full of Goodies (German)
150 grams of flaked almonds (gehobelte Mandeln)
100 grams of graham crackers (Vollkorn-Butterkekse, natürlich gehen auch normale)
180 grams of butter (Butter)
Cream cheese filling
- 200 grams of butter, softened to room temperature (weiche Butter)
- 200 grams of confectioner’s sugar (Puderzucker)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (Vanilleextrakt), see how you can make your own here or one package of vanilla sugar (Vanillezucker)
- 400 grams of cream cheese, softened to room temperature (Frischkäse)
- 600 grams of frozen blueberries (gefrorene Heidelbeeren)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (Zitronensaft)
- vegetable gelling agent for 500 grams of liquid (I used Agartine and was very happy with the result, Agar Agar or gelatine will work as well) (Agartine, Agar Agar oder Gelatine)
- 1 package of instant vanilla pudding (Vanillepudding-Pulver)
- 100 grams of fresh blueberries (frische Heidelbeeren)
- Place the graham crackers in a bag (ziplock) and securely close the bag. Use either a rolling pin (Nudelholz) or a hammer to create crumbs inside the bag. Once you have little crumbs, pour them into a medium-size bowl.
- Roast the almonds in a frying pan on medium heat for a few minutes until toasted and golden in color. Add to graham cracker crumbs.
- Melt butter and stir to the mix.
- Press the mix into a springform of 24cm ∅. Press down either with your hand or use a glas bottom to create a nice crust.
- Place springform in the fridge while you continue.
Cream cheese filling
- Cream the butter with the sugar and vanilla extract with a mixer. Add the cream cheese at the end and cream until you have a creamy and smooth mixture.
- Pour on top of the almond/graham cracker mix and let chill for one hour.
- Before the hour is over, start with the blueberries.
- Place the frozen blueberries with the lemon juice and agartine in a pot on the stove (note, if you use gelatine, you have to gently heat up the gelatine separately as gelatine cannot boil. Check instructions). Bring mix to a boil.
- Meanwhile put vanilla pudding mix in a mug and add about 9 tablespoons of cold water. Make sure you don’t see any lumps.
- Once the blueberries are boiling, add the vanilla pudding mix and boil everything combined for about 2 minutes. Mixture should thicken considerably.
- Cool off for a little bit (yes, you can put mix in the fridge or freezer for about 5 minutes) before pouring on the cake.
- Let chill for at least four more hours or overnight.
- Shortly before serving place fresh blueberries on top.
- Slice cake with a hot, yet clean knife.
- This is a cake you can make easily in advance. You can make the crust and cheese cake part on one day, make the blueberry part on the second day and serve it on the third. However, once fully prepared, eat within a few days.